Friday, June 16, 2006

Interleague Play

Kicks off again tonight. Looking at the schedule, the Mets draw the AL East. I'm a little confused as to how they miss a three game set with the D-Rays, to play the Yankees again. Doesn't exactly seem fair. (I'm guessing the Yankees miss out on the Marlins too.) But, who can complain when you're up 9.5 in your division.

Speaking of the Devil Rays, not sure what they're doing looking to trade Carl Crawford. The Angels (Ervin Santana) and Rockies (a bunch of overrated AAA prospects) are interested. Why trade a proven commodity like Crawford who is signed relatively inexpensively (~$5m per) for the next two years, when you can move some of the overload of AAA OF prospects? No one talks about Elijah Dukes, but he may be as good as Delmon Young. BJ Upton's future is probably in the outfield too.

Crawford may be one of the most explosive and dynamic outfielders in baseball right now. I understand the Devil Rays are desparate for some front line pitching, but I think they could still get young guys on a par with Santana using some other trade bait. (Such as the long rumoured deal last winter with Joey Gathright going to Florida for Scott Olsen.)

Speaking of Dukes, he is absolutely crazy from what I've read. Between him and Delmon and Crazy Dmitri (anyone find him yet?), I would not start a bar fight with the Durham Bulls. Might be fun to watch though.

Peter Gammons has a CD coming out next month. Arroyo, Papelbon and some other Red Sox players appear on it. Good thing the media is maintaining objectivity. I guess Bernie Williams was too busy to join in on the fun.

1 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Blogger Donny Davenport said...

How about Braves/Giants in 1991? Didn't the Giants have a double digit lead at some point in early August. Also, Mariners/Angels. I think that was double digits.

I too am very interested in the Devil Rays. I think with a new retractable roof ballpark,(who wants to sit inside in Fla?), and a few player moves, they could contend. I will be exploring these thoughts in a future post. Sometimes I get the sense that they are just waiting it out until baseball realigns again, figuring, 'why waste the money now, when it won't get us anywhere?'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home