Back and as crappy as before
Well, possibly the most important 4-week span of my academic/professional career thus far came to a successful completion on friday, so now I am back and ready to resume blogging.
There seems to be enough coverage of the playoffs going on in this blog, but I'll just quickly add that I'll probably root for the Tigers for 2 reasons. One, they were my grandfather's favorite team...I think he was a big Sparky Anderson fan. Two, its good for baseball when a team with a mid-level payroll has a legit chance to win the world series. It shows that you really can turn a team around in a few years, just like the NFL (except for the Bills...arrrgh), and that perennial bed-shitters like Pittsburgh and Kansas City have no excuse.
Ok, Pasta and I frequently talk during the off-season about how we would "fix" the Yankees. If you dont give a crap, then stop reading right now because the rest of the post is going to be my opinions on what the New York Baseball Yankees should do to build a better team now and for the future.
First, I see that co-poster the Commish was initially pleased with the thought of Torre being fired. I love Torre, but who knows, maybe a fresh voice would have been good. However, if they had decided to can him, I would rather have seen them bring in a guy like Joe Girardi (who is younger than half of the yankees starting rotation) rather than Pinella. Bringing back Sweet Lou would have felt like too much catering to the underachieving Pay Rod. For $25 Million a year, the guy should hit .403 with 67 HR and 183 RBI each year. Or, make less than 10 errors per year. I'd take either one.
OK, lets start with the big move: trade A-Rod. Back in the winter of 03, I sat on Donny's couch while drinking and stated to the room, that included Commish as well, that the Yankees would trade Soriano/Contreras to the Rangers for A-Rod. Although the pitcher was not included in the deal, I actually called a huge trade before it happened. Now I know there are lots of wide-spread rumors going on about where A-Rod might go. I heard Mike and Mike say that the White Sox offered one of their pitchers (the yanks want McCarthy) and Crede for A-Rod. This would fill the gap vacated at third by A-Rod and add youth to the staff.
However, I would go a different direction. I apologize if this trade has already been speculated upon in the media. If it has, I have not heard it, and the trade I will propose was one I have been thinking about since August. I would deal A-Rod to Anaheim for John Lackey or Ervin Santana, SS/3B prospect Brandon Wood and one of their hard-throwing middle relievers, like Donnely or Shields. This is why the deal would work: The Angels need offense, and realize their inactivity at the trade deadline really hurt them. A 1-2 punch of Vlad and A-Rod with Chone Figgins and the OC as table setters would be a very difficult 1-4 in the lineup. Most importantly, A-Rod would likely approve this deal, as he can look pretty out in Cali, and the Angels have a legit shot to make the playoffs every year. The Yanks would get a solid IF prospect, a guy who could step in and hit 8th or 9th with little pressure. If they want to bring him along more slowly, they could always find someone for a one year fill-in. Most importantly, he doesnt make a shit-load of money. For the pitcher, the Yanks could go for proven postseason success with Lackey, or potential with Santana.
Otherwise, there isnt much else to do with the pitching staff. I'd try to resign Mussina for two years and $16M. This is a bargain compared to the shit they get from Pavano or Wright. As for these two, I'd try to deal them for prospects, and eat as much money as needed. They are not the solution to this team's success. I'll admit I was a supporter of the Pavano move, but the Jaret right move was a train wreck waiting to happen, and everyone except Big Stein and Cashman knew it. Last, they need to bring up this Philip Hughes guy they keep talking about. If they arent going to trade him, lets see whats he's got.
Offensively, the only thing to do is to make sure Melky Cabrera gets in to at least 3 games a week. He's still young, but can easily fill in in RF or LF in '08 after Abreu's contract is up. He might not hit 40 HR a year, but hes fast and talented, and seeing young guys come up through the system reminds us Yankees fans of the glory days of 1996. They can work out a rotation where Damon, Matsui, Abreu and Melky rotate between the 3 OF spots and DH spot each game, keeping everyone fresh. Also, Andy Phillips should play first as a defensive replacement from the 7th inning on, hopefully getting one AB per game. Also, he should start at least once a week, giving the Giambino a chance to rest his roid-ridden joints. Lastly for the offense, they need to find a better back-up catcher. There has to be someone better than the porn-stash dude they have now. They should get Bengie Molina who's a FA and sign him to a 3 year 15M deal. He can play 2-3 times a week and will take over full time in '08 when Posada is done.
Here is the line-up as I would like it for 07:
CF Damon
SS Jeter
RF Abreu
1B Giambi (with Phillips playing once a week and for defense)
LF Matsui
2B Cano
C Posada
3B Wood
DH Cabrera
Rotation:
1. Wang
2. Johnson
3. Mussina
4. Lackey/Ervin Santana
5. Hughes/Jeff Karstens (both will be in the rotation in '08 when Johnson is gone).
Overall, the offense may not have as much fire-power without A-Rod, but they will still score a lot. Its kind of a lefty-heavy offense, which works in Yankee Stadium. Plus, they have enough room to allow Cabrera and Wood to gain experience without having to carry the team.
3/5 of the staff is the same, but they are replacing the garbage at the end with high-upside young guys. Plus, they wont be hurting when Johnson is done and when Mussina eventually leaves.
Last, these moves should shed a good chunk of payroll, with more to come after the year: Abreu $17M, Johnson $16, Posada $11.
If anyone has an opinion, let me know.
Muffin

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home