Monday, August 14, 2006

Muffin's Run to Glory

Similar to Donny, I will analyze my own draft. An analysis of the other members of the league will follow. I will try to stay objective...nah, f-that. I'm going to totally overhype my players.

In the 2005 draft, the first year of keepers, I wanted to make sure I had 3 solid RBs. I took McGahee (bust), Portis (terrible in the first half - then I traded him and he had 10 TDs in the last 7 games) and Curtis Martin (apparently 30 year-olds that win the rushing title dont do it again at the age of 31 - bust!) After that solid triumverate (sp?), I took a solid QB Trent Green who had a lot of yards, but our league doesn't award too many points for yards, and he only had 17 td passes, basically one per week...useless. My WR corps were anchored by Jerry Porter in round 5 (bust), Rod Smith and Eddie Kennison (who burned me in week 5 or 6 by getting 0 points, even though he played the entire game! Obviously, you can see where this is going...

After a 10th place finish (out of 10), I immediately looked toward '06 (Baseball that is). I inquired to my roommate, Ironic Steel as to who he thought would be kept in baseball and who might go in the first round. Normal questions to ask a fellow sports fan, except that the calendar had not yet reached Thanksgiving. After a promising start to baseball, my pitchers forgot how to throw strikes, and I currently sit in 5th, praying that my team gets hot for 3 weeks and I can somehow pull off a second place finish. Anyway, on to this year's football draft.

I begin the draft by showing up at 530. It doesnt start until 745, and 5 of the 6 beers I purchased are already drank. Its ok, because of trades and keepers, I only have two picks in the first 49, so I really just need to concentrate for about 15 seconds. By the way, I definelty was the most efficient drafter. By picking at the end of one round and the beginning of another, I consistently took both my players in less than a minute. Thats the Muffin Way...I rule!

Round 1/Pick #10: As mentioned by Donny, there was garbage left at RB. But with keepers of Ronnie Brown and Lamont Jordan, I only needed an adequate #3 RB. I had two guys in mind, but I saved the RB for the second round. At this pick, I wanted one of the top WRs, who I considered to be Chad Johnson, 'Big Game' Holt, Starvin Marvin Harrison, Larry Fitz, TO, Randy Moss and Anquan Boldin. Since Chad and Fitz were kept, I had to sit through 7-8 picks holding my breath, as Harrison and Tolt were taken. Single Andy drafted 9th right before me and selected Reggie Bush, leaving T.O available to join the Muffins, reuniting with the team he carried in the pre-keeper days of '04. I consider him a top-5 WR, likely to get double digit TDs, as long as Parcells doesn't murder him or his stationary bike doesnt get a flat and send him into a burning volcano (or some other injury/death).

Round 2/Pick #11: With Lamont Jordan being my keeper in round 3, and having no pick in round 4 (which is how I landed Jordan in June), I just have to make this pick and then wait for 39 more players to be called. Normally this would be nice, but I only have one beer left and its a sunday. Regardless, I said there were two guys I wanted as my 3rd RB/Flex player, Reggie Bush or Willie Parker. I dont consider either a #1 or RB, so I thought Bush would fall. Either guy works great for me since I already had 2 RB's that were consistently top-1o in all mags I read. Gale Sayers, I mean Reggie Bush went to single Andy, so I took Fast Willie here. I'm satisfied with the yardage, and he will get more goal line touches (not all of them, but hopefully enough to raise his season TDs from 4 rushing to 8 rushing). Not bad for a #3.

Round 3/Pick #30: Lamont Jordan as a keeper. Traded a 4th rounder for a 6th rounder to Ironic Steel. Good trade value since it was the first trade of the offseason. Future trades netted better picks, such as Ironic swiping the 12th overall pick for L-fitz...strong work, roomie.

Round 4/Pick #31: Its been 57 minutes since I drafted, and I wont pick again for 19 more picks (39 of those 57 minutes are spent by The Lawnmower man debating on Hasselbeck in round 2). I was on the phone with the muffin wife at this time and did not hear the crowds reaction to that pick. I was told a pin dropping could be heard amongst all the disbelief.

I have to go to a meeting now, and I dont want to risk losing this, so I will continue to post in an hour or two, recapping my rounds 5 through 15.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home