T-Minus 6 days
The big day is almost here, season two of our keeper fantasy football league. Even though its on a sunday, I believe that there will be several of us getting krunked, myself included. There is a lot of mystery surrounding this draft. Unlike baseball, its not quite clear what everyone is going to do. The biggest question surrounds the 'Pasta Franchise' and whether he will pass on a running back and take Peyton Manning. The obvious answer is yes. Almost as good as Randy Johnson in the first round. Donny will have to post as to the status of a live blog during the draft.
In other news, I have wanted to comment on the NFL draft for some time now. First, I must preface this by saying that I am a Buffalo Bills fan, and that everyone outside of Buffalo completely ripped their draft and said that GM Marv Levy and owner Ralph Wilson had no idea what they were doing. I am not here to defend or rip there draft - but, as an aside, I am pretty happy with their draft as a whole - instead I want to comment on the state of the sports media in relation to issues like this.
If you look at any mock draft on any of the major websites, TV channels, newspapers, etc, they are all basically the same. Yes, there are minor variations, but essentially, the first round was projected about the same across all mocks. I feel that it is impossible for any normal human being to scout and rate all of these college prospects, when they play against such varied competition with such a wide range of talent around them. The only person who has attempted this is that weird-o Mel Kiper (I believe he has Asperger's disease - go look it up and tell me if you agree).
Anyway, my point is that Mel has his rankings, and then about 100 other guys take those rankings, adjust them just a little, and have make their own projections. They dont actually do any scouting or research of their own, other than reading what Mel says. Thus, if your team doesn't draft according to Mel Kiper, then they had a bad draft according to the ENTIRE sports media.
Bottom line, with all the uncertainty in the NFL draft, you have to take the player you want. I think its better to take the guy you want and have him suck while the "consenus" pick performes well, rather than taking the "consensus" pick and having him suck, while the guy you wanted does well. Because of this, I hope that Mario Williams has a HOF career, and that Reggie Bush is out of the league in 3 years. Then every single jerk-off who said the Titans were stupid for passing on the next Gale Sayers can GFThemselves (by the way - I guarantee if you surveyed all the people who compare Reggie Bush to Gale Sayers, at least 60% of them would have no clue what team Sayers played for). But I'm sure that some douchebag on Around the Horn will say, "I told you that the Titans made a great choice". F-You.

1 Comments:
texans, not titans, muff.
also, little known fact, gale sayers barely played more than 3 years. look it up. 68 games.
a sunday night football draft is a travesty of epic proportions. also, there will be no live blogging due to no internet connection.
Post a Comment
<< Home