A Second Opinion: Steel's Draft Re-analyzed
In order to increase impartiality, we will be performing a second review of all bloggers' previously self-reviewed drafts. It's time to break down Steel's draft, Davenport-style (this would include several beers and lots of yelling if done live).
1st Rd- Torry Holt- With a bunch of mishmash left at RB, this is an okay pick at number 6. Having had Holt in the past, he always seems to put up big numbers on the year, but his week by week production varies greatly. I would have gone for TO before Holt.
2nd Rd - Chester A. Arthur Taylor - Viking RBs are historically crappy in fantasy due to their seemingly annual committee approach. Taylor apparently has established himself as the primary back, but I still think we could see a lot of Mewelde Moore this year. Too bad the Whizzinator has retired to the CFL.
3rd Rd - Rudi Johnson- Keeper pick. Solid work. Top 10 back in the third round, acquired for Clinton Portis.
4th Rd - Deshaun Foster- eh. I dunno.. DeAngelo Williams was impressive at Memphis last year, and looks to have a bright future. Foster has struggled throughout his career to establish himself as a clear cut number one. Lots of upside here, but could blow up in Steel's face.
5th Rd - Shockey- This pick appears to be by the numbers as most draft mags had him top 50. Personally, If I'm not getting Gates, I'm waiting until the run on TEs begins in the 8th or 9th round. Steel should have gone for a WR here. We'll see what impact that has on the starting roster.
6th Rd - Javon Walker- First year in Denver, with a potential QB controversy on tap. Should put up good numbers, but difficult to tell based on experience, as Denver has always been a one pony show with Rod Smith being a solid fantasy option and Ashley Lelie an embarassment to his family, friends, and concubines. I think Walker will do well, so I like the pick.
7th Rd - Joe Horn- Solid WR in the number 2 spot. Makes Shockey's selection at 5 more defensible.
8th Rd - Chris Brown- I had this guy last year, and it was miserable. He refuses to score TDs, and enjoys sitting out as many weeks as possible. And when he is playing, its announced five minutes before kickoff. If he goes to the Jets, could be a big payoff, but you're looking at a year of frustration and jaded trade offers to league mates with this guy on your team, because you hate to drop such a talented RB.
9th Rd - Byron Leftwich - Would have been there in the 11th or 12th, way too early to select. Should have gone WR here, (Branch or Kennison - #1s for their teams were still available. ) or even a backup RB to one of his starters (Chris Perry).
10th Rd - Pitt Defense - Seems to be okay every year. I echo the continuing disinterest in fantasy defenses.
11th Rd - Dallas Clark- I like this pick a lot. I was hoping he'd fall further so I could grab him late. Great spot starter in fantasy. Best pick of Steel's draft.
12th Rd - Carson Palmer- Here's your starter for the year. Seems like a wasted pick on Leftwich at this point. Could be a future year keeper at 12 or trade bait.
13th Rd - Vanderjagt- Kicker. zzzzzzzzz
14th Rd - Troy Williamson- WR/Vikings. Probably a reach to draft this guy, but has a ton of potential and might start to come into his own in year two. Generally the rule on WRs seems to be their 3rd season is a breakout, but could be a good spot starter against poor defenses late in the season.
15th Rd - Michael Bush - RB/Louisville - I'm not sure how I feel about this. I had yet to hear the scuttlebutt that Bush is a top 5 draft pick, who would be an immediate starter. But there appeared to be some research performed surrounding this pick, so I'll take Steel's word for it. Seems to be a big risk with the impact of byes on one position spots like Kicker and Defense, to have an empty roster spot all year. We'll hold judgement on this selection until draft day 2007. If a team like the Jets or Texans take him, its gets an A, if the Cheifs end up with him, forget it.
Overall, a decent roster assembled, with a clear strength at TE and top two RBs. Second WR spot may be up the in air, as well as the Flex spot, but on paper, it saddens me to admit, that this team has playoffs written all over it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home