Football in March
So I've been eagerly anticipating some serious post-draft analysis and/or funny comments but none have come thus far. Since my last post was a poem I feel compelled to talk about something less-queer, like football. My first comments have to do with the Willis McGahee trade from the Bills to the Ravens. On the surface it seems like a decent trade for both clubs. Baltimore gets rid of their old injury ridden broken down back for another injury ridden broken down back. Actually, I'm kidding with that comment, I feel that McGahee is still a viable option in pro football and is capable of being a top 15-20 back for the next few years to come. And in return, the Bills get rid of a potential locker room distraction for a few draft picks. The reason I'm a little worked up over this is because of the reaction by Bills fans. They couldn't be happier and are celebrating today over this trade like they won a playoff game or something. I was listening to local Democrat and Chronicle columnist Bob Matthews (don't even get me started on that d'bag, that's a whole different post altogether) and he played "Happy Days" music and talked about what a great trade it was. And then one hick after another called up saying things like good riddance, get him out of here, he was a bum, etc etc. What I just don't understand is the complete chip on the sholder that Buffalo fans have of athlete's that don't "appreciate" their roster spot in Buffalo. So the guy is a jackass, so he said some comments in Penthouse about moving the team to Toronto...does that mean you celebrate when your new #1 is Shaud Williams? That's the problem I have with the whole trade, what the hell are they going to do now? You have a young nuculus of players who just missed out on the playoffs and then you get rid of one of them because they don't want to play for you anymore and now you have to start over? I may be missing the point here and they could be on the verge of landing a good replacement, but I just don't see one out there. Who are you going to sign, Dominick Rhodes? Chris Brown? Damien Rhodes? The only option I would be excited about is Michael Turner from San Diego. I would turn around and give all those picks to them to get a chance at him. But so far San Diego has showed absolutely no interest in moving Turner which leaves Buffalo out in the cold.
The other situation I wanted to comment on is the recent development in Pasta's potential starting roster for next year. Muffin is having a field day with this and for good reason. With the recent news of Thomas Jones being traded to the Jets and Cory Dillon being released by New England, Pasta now has 3 legit starting runningbacks as keepers. Maurice Jones-Drew in the 15th, Maroney in the 7th and Jones (I think in the 3rd) Either way, it's 3 starting RB's to have on your team before the season starts and would leave him in a fantastic position heading into next season's draft. BUT WAIT!!! What does Pasta do before the season is even over? He trades HIS #1 DRAFT PICK for Willie Parker. I mean, a #1? Couldn't he just have drafted him in that position? So now he has to get rid of one of the other RB's (Jones or Maroney) AND he doesn't have a pick until THE 3RD FREAKING ROUND! And we wonder why his team's finish in last year after year...just terrible.
But props to Muffin for stealing his early draft picks in both sports for 2 years running now. It will no doubt pay off in a trip deep into the playoffs for the Muffin Man this fall.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home