Monday, August 14, 2006

Muffin's draft continued

Well, my meeting only took 10 minutes, and the next one isnt for an hour, so I'll finish up.

Round 5/Pick #50: At this point, I plan on taking a WR in round 6, so its either a TE or QB here. I hadn't planned on taking either of these two positions until round 10 or 11, but I saw Donovan McNabb still sitting there at this point. Now I know he was hurt for 7 games last year, and I know he doesn't have TO, but only a year ago he was a second round pick. I'll take my chances on him. Andy Reid loves to throw, and Westbrook is always hurt. Granted, he wont put up much better numbers than about 7 other Qbs remaining but oh well. In looking back at the draft, this is one of the picks I'm most excited about.

Round 6/Pick #51: Time for WR#2. Again, going into the draft, I targeted 4 guys for this spot, TJ Housh, Roy Williams, Donald Driver and Lee Evans. The only one still available at this point was Lee Evans, and I was happy to have him. Its always nice to have one player from your favorite team, even if that team will have one of the bottom 3 offenses in the league. Regardless, as long as JP losman wins the starting job in B-Lo, I'm expecting 8-10 TDs for Lee. However, he may only have 600 years receiving...

Round 6/Pick #54: This is the 6th rounder I received from Ironic Steel in the LJ trade (not the good LJ, the other one - Lamont Jordan). At this point, I dont have a kicker, def or te. Well, f-those other two positions, I draft Alge Crumpler here. Yes, Vick is very inconsistent and crappy at QB, and may only have 1500 yards passing and 12 TD passes this year, but half of that will go to Crumpler. I got him in a trade from Ironic Steel last year (yes, we trade a lot) and I was happy with him. I remember sitting at the dinning room table with my family at thanksgiving, and hearing the voice in the other room announce that Crumpler had just caught his second TD pass of the game from Vick (whom I also had I my team). I remember smiling and thinking that Tall Loud Drunk was probably choking on a drumstick at that point, as he was getting owned by the worst team in the league.

Round 7/Pick #70: Before the draft, I had hoped to get one of the rookie RBs at some point. Maroney and DeAngelo were off the board early, but Addai managed to stay around. I was excited about this pick as well, especially since Rhodes is a FA after this year, and Addai could be the featured back, even at some point this season. I'm dreaming of my 2 keepers being Addai in the 7th and Ronnie Brown in the 8th next year.

At this point, I must say that I am excited about my team. I have landed the guys that I targeted in almost every round. However, I was excited about my team last year and we saw how that worked out, so who knows. Whatever, f-it, I dont even care...

Round 8/Pick #71: This is keeper #2, Ronnie Brown. Last year, I dealt Clinton Portis and Jake Plummer (I think) to Ironic Steel for Ronnie Brown and Alge Crumpler. At the time, I was 1-7 and had no chance of making the playoffs. I knew I needed to make a move for a late round keeper. The league couldnt believe I made this trade, but I think it worked out well. Granted, Brown hasent been a featured RB since junior high school, but whatever. At least he has Mike Mularkey as his offensive co-ordinator. Oh god, no! Additonally, when I opened up ESPN.com in early march and saw in that big red box they put in the upper right hand corner saying that Ricky Williams was suspended for drugs, it felt like my birthday and christmas wrapped into one. I hope he breaks his leg in the CFL.

Round 9/Pic #90: The rest of the draft is less exciting. I think this is where I took Reggie Brown. Decent #3 WR I guess, probably will only play during bye weeks.

Round 10/Pick #91: Back-up QB Michael Vick. I'll probably only use him when McNabb is on a bye or when Vick plays a crappy defense. I've had him the last two years. He's not that good at fantasy, but he's exciting to watch. If I'm lucky enough to play him on the weeks where he busts out a 65 yard TD run, then its worth it. But lots of turnovers possible.

Round 11/Pick #110: Back-up TE LJ Smith. I figure I have good depth at TE between him and Crumpler, and can exploit the matchups as needed. I now have 3 eagles though, but doubt I will ever play all 3 - except week 3 when they play the 49ers.

Round 12/Pick #111: Eddie Kennsion for WR #4. He usually has over 1000 yards receiving each year, which I dont understand because he only catches 4 passes a game. LJ gets all the TDs on this team anyway. He will likely get dropped when I need to pick up a second defense.

Round 13/Pick #130: Seattle defense. Good I guess, they went to the superbowl last year. Two years ago I took the Ravens in round 5, last year it was the steelers in the 8th. This defense is comparable, and I waited a lot longer.

Round 14/Pick #131: Jay Feely, Giants kicker. The giants are always on TV, so I can watch him miss 24 yarders live. He'll be gone by week 5 when he has a bye. I agree with Donnie. I lobbied to get rid of kickers completely, but alas, I failed.

Round 15/Pick #150: Mr. Insignificant. The 15th round is a free keeper round, if you keep that guy on your team the whole year. Last year, Single Andy managed to hold on to Frank Gore, which may work out well. I had Lee Suggs, a previous winner of the prestigious 'Mike Sweeney Award'. This year, I contemplated Big Ben, but didnt want a 3rd QB, so I went with Mike Anderson. I dont know what Jamal Lewis will do this year, but Mike could end up as a starter, but the Ravens offense sucks so it doesnt matter. Not bad for a 5th RB I guess.

Overall, I am happy with my depth at RB, QB and TE. I feel a little shaky at WR, but if Addai develops or Mike Anderson becomes the starter, I could trade one of the other RBs for a receiver. We'll see. Can't be any worse than last year...

1 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Blogger Donny Davenport said...

Muff- I since a LOT of excitement around your team and your draft. Best wishes on joining me outside the playoffs. I can't wait for the upcoming review of the 'Bernie Williams' franchise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home